We don’t read online like we read books. Our attention span is very short when browsing websites online.
We have a tendency to scan the text and jump from one section to another and we read only headings or just the first sentence of a paragraph.
When planning your homepage or a landing page, try to design it in a way so it supports your visitor reading habits:
- Make enough room between the sections so you clearly see when to stop.
- Start every section with a short heading.
- Follow the heading with a short intro paragraph or subheading that summarizes what the section is about without spending time reading longer paragraphs.
- Use a clear typographic hierarchy.
- Break up large amounts of content into small chunks (use space between paragraphs, bullet/number lists, quotes, icons, illustrations, photos).